Customers search online for everything nowadays so it’s important for a small business to ensure that the content of their website is clear and attractive. That’s why search engine optimization is a necessary part of a successful small business website.
Getting started in SEO can be a challenging for small business owners who are just starting the process. How do they know what keywords or themes to use that will give them the most success? Should they hire someone to help with an SEO campaign? Where is the best place to start SEO?
Here are five steps to planning a successful SEO campaign:
- Get a plan of action: Decide what you want to achieve with an SEO campaign. Do you want to increase your brand visibility? Bring more traffic to your site? Deciding on a goal will help you decide which SEO tactics to deploy and how to measure results
- Inventory your resources: Most small businesses have limited marketing resources so it’s important to take inventory of what you have and what you may still need to drive a successful SEO campaign. Taking advantage of outside help to get started can advance a small business SEO program. You can decide whether you can or want to outsource work from copywriting to content building. After the business goals have been established, it’s time to look at your budget and figure out what you may be able to do yourself and what you can use some help with.
- Measure the success of your business: Many companies measure their SEO success by rankings for keywords in search results but these results vary by the location of the searcher and are not always relevant. You may want to consider changes in organic search traffic for optimized keywords over a given period of time as well as conversions. Take benchmark measurements so you have documentation for your success.
- Implementation and Promotion: Keywords, content, and links are fundamentals to any SEO program. The right keyword research should result in a Keyword Glossary that can be used for a content optimization audit and serve as a resource for future content creation, digital asset optimization and link building. Code and server side audits should handle any technical issues along with template and database optimization. Processes for content optimization on an ongoing basis will empower whoever adds and maintain content to the website in order to produce keyword optimized copy as part of regular website maintenance. After implementation, SEO efforts can be taken to the next level by finding the target audience online. If you know where your prospective customers are interacting with one another online you will know where to promote your content and increase the reach of your SEO program by encouraging direct traffic and inbound links.
- Maintain your SEO campaign: Changes to a website after the initial site optimization can affect all past SEO efforts. Remember an effective SEO campaign needs to adapt with changes. Ongoing SEO efforts can help a business continue to be successful. Keep website marketing goals in mind to establish a campaign that will be successful and pay off for your unique business.